Temporary Residency Permits

In this article I am going to cover many of the things you need to know regarding long term stays in Ukraine and Temporary Residency Permits.

What is a TRP (Temporary Residency Permit)?

A TRP stands for Temporary Residency Permit. This is a legal document in the form of a plastic ID card which entitles the holder to certain rights and privileges in Ukraine. In order to stay in Ukraine long term and travel freely without worrying about visas and other limitations on staying in Ukraine as a tourist you will need to obtain a Temporary Residency Permit. The cost of obtaining a TRP varies depending on which method you use. The four most common TRPs are student, business, volunteer, and marriage. I will cover all four of these options and some of the pros and cons of each of these TRPs.

The process of obtaining a TRP is rather straight forward on paper, but in reality is a very complex process due to the nature dealing with the government in Ukraine as well as needing various official translation services and documents notarized. I have helped many people determine which TRP best suits their individual needs as well as help them through the process of obtaining a TRP and pointing them in the right direction. I learned all this information by spending months studying the process and meeting with numerous lawyers and other organizations offering TRPs in attempting to determine for myself which TRP was best for my own needs, as well as finding the most reputable and cheapest options in Ukraine to get the process done. While it is technically possible to do everything yourself to obtain a TRP, unless you speak fluent Russian or Ukrainian and have a background in law you absolutely will need assistance.

For most people the easiest, fastest, and cheapest option is a student TRP. You also gain the benefit of access to a university where you may attend classes, including language classes. Foreigners are extremely well liked and this also opens the door to numerous social events on campus. For most foreigners the social benefits alone, making friends and meeting women, make this the most attractive option for staying long term in Ukraine. The cost for this TRP is $2,000 USD and the TRP will be valid for 2 years. If you decide to get a student visa I will be able to personally help you through the entire process.

The second option is a business TRP. You’ll need to work with a lawyer here who will hire you to work for a company, make you the director of the company, then transfer the company to you. This requires a lot more paperwork, but gives you the legal right to work here locally in Ukraine. A business TRP is valid for 3 years and will cost $2,400 up front and approximately $3,000 USD in total over the 3 years.

The third option is a volunteer TRP. For this you will need to actually volunteer in Ukraine with a recognized charitable organization at least weekly. You’ll also need to pass an interview to be considered. The cost of this TRP is approximately $1,050 for 1 year.

The fourth option is a marriage TRP. For this you will need to actually find someone to marry while here on your tourist visa. If you manage to do this you can leverage situation into a marriage TRP which is valid for 2 years, after which you can become a citizen of Ukraine by marriage. If you find yourself needing help in this situation contact me for assistance getting this type of TRP.

In all cases, the process to obtain a TRP begins in Ukraine. You must start the process physically while present in Ukraine. The process can be made simple by signing a power of attorney to allow someone to file paperwork on your behalf, or travel around with an assistant to file the paperwork yourself. Once you begin the process in Ukraine you must travel to a Ukrainian embassy located in a different country to process your TRP application. Depending on your choice of embassy this can take one day, or possibly weeks waiting for the TRP application to be processed. I can assist you on planning this trip to make it as quick and easy as possible. With your paperwork in hand from the embassy you will return to Ukraine using this visa to enter Ukraine, then file for your Temporary Residency Permit physical plastic card.

The whole process can take anywhere from 15 to 30 working days, so you will want to start the process of obtaining your TRP with no less than 45 days remaining on your current tourist visa. The process can be expedited if you are nearing the end of your tourist visa, and if you need to leave the country after starting the process this is fine as the documents you need to file at an Ukrainian embassy can be mailed to you.

If you would like to start the process of getting your Temporary Residency Permit or have any questions about the process please contact me.